Tuesday, July 17, 2012

"Doctor, What About Me?"

Blogging is such a narcissistic act that it may seem like piling on to post just to call attention to a little milestone. But I noticed the other day that the "Hebrew Republic Lecture," uploaded to YouTube in the fall of 2008, and linked to from this blog, just passed 4000 viewings. I can hardly imagine what it means to have had a virtual audience of this size and quality. I am grateful.

And since we're on the subject of my gratitude (and narcissism), I cannot resist pointing to this new review of Promiscuous, just published in the Forward. It assumes Portnoy's Complaint, and Philip Roth, to be somewhat more preoccupied with American Jewish life than either really are, but the review is very generous and thoughtful (which, for any writer, is redundant).